This post is part of the Creativity and Money series.
OK it’s time for some solutions to the artistic and financial conundrums we’ve been discussing in the Creativity and Money series. 🙂
Having talked about the reasons creative people don’t talk about money, the creative benefits of money, and 5 big money mistakes we’re prone to making, it’s time to give you some solid practical answers to the issues we’ve covered.
To do this, I’ve teamed up with Sarah Thelwall, founder of MyCake and an expert on financial management for creative businesses, to record an audio seminar about 5 Essential Money Skills for Creative People. And you’re welcome to download it for free. 🙂
Sarah has a very unusual combination of creative and business skills. We’ve been talking about these issues for years, and I know she has solutions to the challenges many of you face, so I’m delighted to be able to introduce her to you.
I think we’re a pretty good double-act – I deal with the ‘mindset and creativity’ side of things, and Sarah deals with the hard numbers in a very user-friendly way.
You can get the seminar – for free – here.
It’s a 75-minute recording, and we’ve done our best to pack it with useful advice. Topics we cover include:
- How to earn a good living from your creativity without selling out
- What Mozart thought about money
- How keeping regular accounts can change your life (seriously)
- Why your reasons for charging low fees are almost certainly bad ones
- What to do about crap clients
- Why you shouldn’t try to sell to everyone
- How to keep your expenses in check
I’ve personally learned a lot from working with Sarah – she’s a fount of useful advice – so I hope you’ll find the combination of our different perspectives useful.
About the author: Mark McGuinness is a poet and a creative coach. For some free advice on aligning your creative and financial goals, listen to the audio seminar 5 Essential Money Skills for Creative People.
Table of Contents for Creativity and Money
- 7 Reasons Creative People Don’t Talk about Money
- 4 Ways Money Can Support Your Creativity
- Free Ebook: 5 Big Mistakes Creative People Make with Money
- Free Audio Seminar: 5 Essential Money Skills for Creative People « You Are Here
- Why Money Matters to Avant-Garde Artists
- Rich Poet, Poor Poet